Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Grgich Hills Estate Chardonnay- Come GET some!

Vintage: 2007

If you haven’t had a bottle of Grgich chardonnay in a while, do yourself a favor and stop reading this right now and go buy a bottle, then come back and read this. Yeah, it’s okay. I’ll wait…

I have known about Grgich Hills wines for most of my adult life, yet for some reason, maybe because they were so readily available, I assumed they were common wines. A couple of years ago I sat down with the Southern California Grgich rep. for my restaurant and tasted through the lineup. Boy was I wrong!

IMG_9771The Grgich chardonnay straddles the perfect line between “old world” style fresh and  crisp and “new world” style rich and buttery! It is fresh and clean yet rich and full-bodied, with gorgeous apple, pear, and ripe melon notes.

The winemaker, Mike Grgich made headlines around the world in 1976, when his Chateau Montelena Chardonnay beat out all the great French white Burgundies in the “Tasting of Paris” contest. When it comes to chardonnay, he knows his stuff!

He also makes a dynamite Fume Blanc, Zinfandel, and Cabernet Sauvignon. But don’t just take my word for it. Go GET some! Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment